Friday, February 26, 2016

Nakedness

I've been thinking about a lot of different things lately.

Most recent of which has been about pornography.
And naked bodies.

I'd like to start with my thoughts on our naked bodies. Nakedness is not something to be ashamed of. God CREATED our bodies. It's make up is incredible. The trauma it can handle is miraculous. It houses our incredibly functioning organs that are always working around the clock and doing things that are complex and intricate. It heals itself. It HEALS. ITSELF. That's crazy. As a nurse, I have witnessed first hand a patient's body go from self-destruct to self-healing with/without help from medicine.

It brings us the greatest. intimate. pleasure. And sometimes disappointments.

I grew up in a pretty conservative family and geographical location. My mom NEVER talked about sex. The only thing I remember is when I started my period she said, in her sweet Indian accent, "Don't hang out with boys." The church talked about sex but only in light of abstinence (that was my personal experience). There wasn't anyone I could talk with about it. And not necessarily just sex. But our beautiful, nakedness. No one talked about how they appreciated his/her body and the things it can do.

I learned about sex from television, school and friends. But even then it wasn't like I really learned about it. It was a distorted view of sex for sure. (A distorted view of what the body "SHOULD" look like). It was more like I knew the word, and there were a couple of body parts involved and people always enjoyed it. And it was quick. I guess many of us learned it that way from conversations I've had.

I remember I felt shame, awkward and embarrassed talking about or thinking about it. It was uncomfortable. And I think it stemmed from not having an appreciation for the naked body or my own. Not respecting my own body and what it can do. What it is capable of. Not having a mature conversation about sex and our nakedness. (I mean, there was definitely some immaturity all across the board growing up but does that come from what and how we were taught or not taught? - something my husband and I have been discussing).

My body is strong and resilient. Sometimes it fails me. I know one day (maybe) I can house a baby INSIDE OF MY BODY. (That always seems so 'alien' to me - the fact that a woman's body nourishes another human inside of itself. Crazy, miraculous).

I was never taught about the naked body in the sense of appreciation and respect.
Were you?

I've been thinking about my future children (if we have any - I also think about the young folks in my life). My husband and I desire for them to appreciate and respect not only their own bodies but other peoples bodies. And its differences from one to the other. We desire to be an open book (depending on age, of course - we actually desire to be an open book about everything) to them. We want to talk about it even if they are uncomfortable or we're uncomfortable. We want to take what we learned from our childhoods and teach our children to have a HEALTHY view of nakedness and sex. (At least try to. I'm not a parent yet so it may be difficult. And not necessarily our future children but in any conversation that may come up with our friends and/or family). And a healthy view on other topics but that would expand into a MUCH LONGER post.
What do I mean by healthy? Good question.

That leads me to pornography. An unhealthy view of nakedness and sex. Many people either peruse it now and then or have an addiction to it - men and women. Pornography demeans women (and men). It is an unrealistic expectation regarding sex and someone's nakedness. Some of it involves extreme underage boys and girls and boys and girls who are not legal (16/17 yo but look older) and who may have been forced into the sex trafficking industry. It destroys. Children are looking at it (I've experienced it myself and in other kids lives when growing up) and those close to them are not talking about it so of course their views (and my own) on sex and nakedness was immature and unrealistic and distorted.

I think about those who have an addiction to it. And I think about those who seek help. I have someone close to me that I will reference. This person told me that the support group attended focused on: how to get rid of it by praying and seeking scriptures; boycotting everything and anything that will cause the person to stumble (which nowadays is very difficult as technology and media is available everywhere, all the time, and in some cases absolutely needed for work); and learning how to resist temptation.

What I usually hear about pornography is how it is a sin, how it's destructive and how to help men overcome it. (There are women, too, and that population is growing).

I think something should be added that would be helpful: going back to the person's past. What happened in their past? How did he/she learn about sex and nakedness?
Perhaps we should also talk about how we can react to sex and nudity by appreciating what God did in what He created. How incredibly beautiful our bodies are. How beautiful and important our sexuality is.

I think about the church because sex is a huge deal in our culture but it's not talked about very often within the house of God or within the home. Or it is but more in the sense of "sex should be within a marriage between a man and a woman," "learn to honor each others bodies (within a marriage)," "sex is holy and sacred." Or an approach that is white knuckle purity as my husband would describe it. I didn't hear much more about sex than that.  I didn't hear much about nakedness either.

Healthy view of nakedness and sex. When I think of this I ultimately think of respect and appreciation. Respect and appreciation for my body (being kind and good to it, saying nice things about it) leading to respect and appreciation of other peoples bodies.

Maybe if we talked in this way it would help us all out all around? (Body shaming, pornography, rape, bullying...)

4 comments:

  1. Good thoughts and definitely lots of things to think about from this post! You pretty much probably know my thoughts here as they're very much similar to yours. No one ever talked to me about sex, nakedness, porn, etc... outside of the context of total abstinence until marriage. So that was it. Nothing else ever mentioned. Even my parents never really talked to me about sex outside of that first sex talk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do! They grew up in a generation where it wasn't talked about because of religion, culture and the way they were raised. I can definitely see a change and shift today which is great.

      Delete
  2. Great thoughts! Def think being more open about it will help w kids! None of our parents knew how to talk about it, either, cause of how they were raised. I want my kids to have to think about the fact that when they look at porn it's a PERSON!not just a body or an object. I think your ideas play a big role in that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, it's a person not just a body or object. It's difficult to change that perspective but I think if parents and role models held this view then it could possibly make big changes in porn addiction, sex trafficking, body image issues, rape etc

      Delete